Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Crazy El Salvador

¡Hola familia y amigos!

I have been here for two weeks now! This week went by so fast. The weather has been pretty hot and sweaty and the people here just say to wait for March and April. My alarm clock has a temperature reader on it. We come home for lunch and our bedroom is 95 degrees! But, it is hotter in the bedroom that it is outside of our house.

We had some really good experiences and some really funny experiences too. One of our investigators is named Everardo and he reads the Book of Mormon like crazy. He also loves to read the dictionary behind the Book of Mormon. This week he had questions about plural marriage and the tribes of Israel. He asked if all the members in the United States all come from one tribe. Luckily I am the junior companion and so I let Hermana Cash answer those. Sometimes it is hard for both of us to be together because neither of us is fluent. I assume that she can understand everyone. After long conversations I ask her what happened and sometimes she has no idea and so we just smile and say ¨Que bueno¨ or ¨lo siento¨. It is pretty entertaining sometimes. We told Eduardo to start reading from the beginning of the Book of Mormon and the next time we saw him he was talking and he said something about the 3 witnesses and Oliver Cowdery and I understood him and my companion didn´t. I was so proud of me and I had to rub it in my comanions face a little bit. But, that was the only time I understood something that my companion didn´t.

We had our first baptism last week for a ten year old boy named Enrique! He is so cute. When he was confirmed in church on Sunday he had the biggest smile and it made me so happy to be here.

We saw the grossest thing the other day! We went to visit a less active member and her son was there with him. He was wearing a cast but it looked fine from the angle we saw him. When we saw him face on his leg was literally bent and gigantic. I can´t really explain how gross it was. He was drunk and got ran over by a bus! A lot of people die here from getting hit by buses when they are drunk. It is a bad combination.

Yesterday we went to go visit a recent convert. Her husband was there and another small family was just leaving but they let us teach them. We talked about prayer but things got a little out of hand. The recent convert and her husband look like witch doctors and they started talking about visions they had had. They also don´t have teeth so they are hard to understand. Her husband kept saying that he saw a white cloud. And the convert said she had a dream that Christ appeared to her in a dream and he was talking to her and pointing to the baptismal font. But she didn´t understand anything that Christ was saying because he only speaks English. That is what I got out of the story. The other man that was there had a lot of questions about the Book of Mormon but I don´t know if he just wanted to fight about it or learn more. We will see.

There is so much work here in these two areas and everyone is willing to listen. We have had so many good lessons and people are willing to accept the gospel. We are going to have another baptism this Saturday for a 17 year old boy named Jonathan. He was hesitant but then he had time to think about it and he told us he wanted to get baptized! We were so excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment